Wednesday, April 28, 2010

WuYi Qi Lan

This yancha is from Jing tea shop. Reasonably priced I might add.

The leaves have an exquisite aroma. Cherries are paired with a nice earthy undertone.
It is inviting.

The first infusion yields a very clear cup. It is shining and bright under the New Mexico sun.
Cherries and maple stood out in the nose of the liquor.
It is velvet smooth with a light floral quality. It leaves behind a wonderful hint of berry.


The second infusion brings out slight toasty notes that balance the sweetness of the cherries nicely.
Reminds me of a cherry pie.
There is a complimentary astringency to it.

Third infusion;
Quite floral this time. Very light body, accompanied by cantaloupe-esque flavors.

The fourth infusion brings an end to this tea.
Sweet water.
Toasty maple tones are still present, though.

This was a good tea.
It was not as bold as I would have liked it. It did not hold my attention or interest for very long.

Maybe next time I will prepare this Chao Zhou style and see if I can get more out of this tea.
It is a pretty easy drinker though so I would still recommend it.


~billy

2 comments:

  1. Ice,

    Chao Zhou, although I am no expert by any means, is a more traditional method (I think) of making oolong teas. Some of the leaves are crushed into smaller bits and put into the pot first. Larger leaves are put on top of the crushed leaves. This will (I think) create a more even profile throughout the session of the tea if brewing gong fu style.
    Take my words with a grain of salt though.

    ReplyDelete