Monday, April 26, 2010

Anxi Rou Gui

I purchased this Rou Gui from Jing tea shop along with several other teas, two of which I have already examined.


The dry leaf smells quite good; very floral with hints of honey and cream.

The first infusion's aroma has some nice orange zest to it, which is, I suppose, unexpected.
The taste is decent. It is floral with a cooling, oily texture.
As the liquor cools, cassia is found.

The second infusion is flat tasting. There is no complexity. The orange zest is noted first and the aftertaste resembles rosemary.

The third infusion is dull as well. There is no flavor up front.
Texture is the only intriguing element to this tea.
A weak vegetal aftertaste comes forth.

The forth infusion (which I pushed a little harder to get SOMETHING from this tea) was strongly citrus.
There is nothing more. The tea makes me feel incomplete.
No depth.


Ten minutes later the aftertaste got to me. I am not quite sure how to put it into words, but it was not pleasing.

To cure the incomplete feeling as well as banish the aftertaste, a matcha latte was mixed.
-Matcha and water
-sugar
-milk
*shake*


With my taste buds enveloped in this wonderful beverage, I feel whole again.

I am usually not to critical on a tea and in truth I feel a bit bad about giving the Rou Gui a hard time, but my palate speaks its own words.



~billy


Edit: Just mug brewed the Rou Gui today (April 27) and it is a bit more enjoyable, but I just do not enjoy the flavor profile of this tea.

11 comments:

  1. Not sure I have had this Tea, but Rou Gui is typically made into Yancha, and I was aware that Jing Tea Shop was selling a Rou gui done in a more Anxi Tie Guan Yin Style.

    But I am sorry to hear you did not like it, I have yet to find a Jing Tea shop tea with which I was wholly dissatisfied

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice,

    Bad experience to my palate at least.
    I may try brewing it different styles just to get a more rounded taste out of it.


    Adam,

    I am usually partial to Anxi oolongs, especially greener style.
    This tea failed to satisfy. The infusions were flat and for the most part dull.
    The 2003 TKY that Jing sells makes up for this though.
    I have heard good things about WuYi rou gui so I may have to taste those instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In spite of this review I'd still be very curious to try this tea based on what you have said of it. Some of my favorite teas have aromas and qualities that others find objectionable--and similarly, I have strongly disliked some teas that are favorites of other people I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I've said this before, but your photos make your blog.

    The text is really good and you clearly know your tea, but the excellent photography really make your blog stand out.

    Good job Sir Will o.t.l.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex,

    The flavor of this tea was good, but the proportions and instances when they showed up were disappointing to me.
    I may just have to mess around with the brewing parameters but there is not much good I can really say about this tea. If you're interested in it, it is still available at Jing tea shop.

    lahikmajoe,

    Thank you for your kind words. I have just recently gotten into photography, as I am more of a film person. Comments like these keep me posting. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you can't always win. Some teas are just not that great.

    And, when all else fails, turn to a favourite! Hmm, I'm curious about the Matcha latte. What are the proportions of matcha, water, sugar, and milk? What's the ratio that you use?

    -Fox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fox,

    I am sending your package today by the way!

    And the matcha latte...i'd have to get back to you on that. I eyeball the proportions but next time I make it I will try to get measurements and then let you you know! =]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woot! I can't wait for it. ^_^

    I've yet to see the pu'er cake from Yunnan Sourcing, I hope it comes soon. I think my order from Jing Tea Shop came by this morning, but I was out with my friend, so now I have to go pick it up tomorrow at the post office. Grrrr I wanted it today.

    Could you give me a general idea of the eyeballing? This latte sounds pretty good.

    -Fox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I am not sure if this is a bit late. But you have very nice tea ware and it will be great if you can still particpate in the upcoming tea blog carnival (maybe the first ever). Info. is here
    http://teabloggers.com/?q=forums/tea-blog-carnival
    All are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fox,

    .5 liters water (I use a water bottle)
    2 tsp matcha
    3 1/2 tsp sugar (but to taste)
    milk to taste

    Experiment with it but it is a wonderful drink!


    Gingko,

    I would love to participate! Hopefully my feeble mind can figure out the directions. They are a bit confusing.

    ReplyDelete